Monday, January 23, 2012

Udon (Japanese White Noodles)

Udon are  Japanese noodles made from wheat flour,usually eaten in hot broth.
When I was living in Singapore,my Chinese neighbour told me that she missed the Laksa noodle the most when she was abroad.
For me,it is 'Kitsune(きつね)-Udon(うどん).'(Udon with boiled fried tofu as topping)
Kitsune means fox in the Japanese language.It is said that fox likes fried tofu in the fairy tales.
This shop shown below sells  Udon noodles which are  chewyer  and thicker than the other  Udon.They are produced  in Sanuki area in Shikoku Island(四国),which is famous for good quality Udon.
In this shop we can choose many kinds of topping such as tempura,  eggs, seaweed,curry (!) and so on.

As for the broth,Udon in the Kanto(関東) district ,has more soy sauce flavour and the broth
in Kansai(関西) district is light on the flavour and colour.
The boiled fried tofu was juicy and rather sweet;but it s my favourite.

One day I ordered one Kitsune-Udon (294yen) and a piece of vegetable tempura(137yen).
It was lovely lunch in Yokohama.





No comments:

Post a Comment